Dibble prepared an airport strategic plan (ASP) and airport business plan (ABP) for Glendale Municipal Airport (GEU). Located in the city of Glendale near Luke Air Force Base and northwest of downtown Phoenix, GEU offers general aviation and corporate jet traffic for pilots, business entrepreneurs, and others. As a general aviation reliever airport for Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, GEU is one of the Phoenix area’s primary general aviation pilot training facilities and offers a gateway for tourists to explore sports and entertainment offerings in the West Valley. The airport has been in its current location since 1987 and encompasses 477 acres of land with a 7,150-foot runway.
Although GEU plays an important role in Arizona’s aviation system and has grown over the years, it has lacked a clear plan for development. Dibble worked with the City of Glendale and other stakeholders to develop an ASP that provides a long-term vision for the airport and will guide future planning and development efforts at GEU. The primary tasks included the following:
- Conducting a situational analysis to determine the current role, assets, capabilities, and market position of GEU and form a baseline for future recommendations
- Facilitating the development of a vision, mission, core values, and purpose statement
- Identifying strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) for the purpose of developing the mission, vision, and achievable goals/objectives
- Developing goals, objectives, and initiatives
- Preparing an implementation plan to execute the ASP
The ABP provides a resource for GEU to make informed, prudent, and defensible business decisions and to position the airport to become financially sustainable.